What are the benefits of minimally invasive cardiac surgery?
There are many benefits to having minimally invasive cardiac surgery, including:
- Small incisions
- Small scars
- Shorter hospital stay after surgery: The average stay is 3 to 5 days after minimally invasive surgery, while the average stay after traditional heart surgery is 7 to 10 days
- Low risk of infection
- Low risk of bleeding and blood transfusion
Shorter Recovery Time and Faster Return To Normal Activities/Work
The average recovery time after minimally invasive surgery is 1 to 4 weeks, while the average recovery time after traditional heart surgery is 6 to 8 weeks.
The recovery time and return to regular activities is shorter for patients who undergo robotically assisted heart surgery.
Division of the breastbone is not needed for robotically assisted heart surgery.
What Are the Types of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery?
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Coronary Artery Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery